One of the most popular personal protective equipment is a surgical face mask. It’s a fluid-resistant, disposable, comfortable fitting, and provides a physical barrier for users.
Surgical face masks are made from non-woven polypropylene fabric. They should have at least a minimum of 80 percent bacteria filtration efficiency. They come with elastic over-the-ear straps that stretch to secure the mask to your head. There are 3 ply surgical mask and another alternative, the 4 ply surgical mask.
The 3 ply surgical mask is the accepted protection after the N95 mask to help you protect yourself against airborne viruses.
- The innermost layer made from spun bond polypropylene, which absorbs water, sweat and absorbs moisture.
- The middle melt-blown layer is designed as the filter to stop germs from entering or exiting the mask.
- The outer hydrophobic layer that functions to repel water, blood and body fluids.
The 4 ply surgical mask is like a 3 ply face mask with an added extra layer with an activated carbon filter or one more filtering layer.
- 1st layer : polypropylene spun bond non-woven
- 2nd layer: active carbon filter fiber or another filtering layer
- 3rd layer: melt-blown non-woven fabric
- 4th layer: polypropylene spun bond non-woven
They also have adjustable nose strip to give maximum protection and comfort to the user. It also gives protection against odors as well as organic vapors.